A Canon wireless printer setup follows certain protocols, it is not a plug and print arrangement. This is endemic to all printers not just from Canon, set of instructions need to be followed to connect to wireless printers.
Following the instructions dutifully is a must, because any lapse in the sequence will automatically result in a failed attempt and printer will not respond to commands. Like all printers Canon has some access points (known also as hubs or routers) that features an automatic connection button or WPS (Wifi Protected Setup). This is the portal that will allow a PIXMA MG3540 printer for instance to connect to a network without the requisite password.
Using the WPS button is the easiest way to connect, however if it does not have one, some alternate method is available to still allow connection to prevail. Instruction are detailed as follows:
- For Windows users, use the CD that came with the printer and run the setup. For MAC users, download the manuals and software by picking ‘selecting your product’ from the PIXMA range page.
- An initial screen should appear, then click ‘next’, type the password to allow the ‘helper tool’ to be installed.
- Once ready, select between USB or wireless connection, click. The sequence will not work if the printer is not powered on.
- The printer is now ready, the next step is to connect to the ‘network’. As the ‘cableless setup’ appears on the screen, hold down the printers WiFi button till the orange alarm lamp flashes two times, then release.
- At this stage the blue (WiFi) lamp should be quickly flashing and that the green power lamp is lit. Take note that the ‘network connection’ will be temporarily disabled during the setup.
- Next the ‘licensing agreement for canon products’ and ‘please allow all install wizard processes’ should appear on the screen, click.
- The model of the printer and the name (SSID) of the wireless will appear on the screen. And it finally concludes the connection setup. Run a test print.
The Canon wireless printer setup has been programmed to be easy to deal with and be user-friendly, otherwise nobody would dare to follow connect to wireless printer instruction and instead have it pre-installed.
As in all installation instructions, it takes common sense to go through the sequence.